Fort St. Angelo situated at a distance of 3 kms from Kannur was commissioned by the first Portuguese Viceroy, Don Francisco De Almeida in 1505. Later the fort came under the control of British rulers in 1790. During this period the fort was renovated and equipped to make it the most important military station in Malabar. While standing atop the fort complex one can enjoy the spectacular view of the Dharmadom lsland and Moppila Bay. The Kunnar fort is built facing the Arabian sea and offers the visitors with majestic sunrise and sunset views.