One of the most popular tourist attractions of Kerala, Kozhikode beach has been blessed by wonderful scenery and peaceful, refreshing ambiance. The sound of the gushing waves, the mighty Arabian Sea and the clean azure waters, keep alluring tourists from all around. Two piers and an old lighthouse add to the old-world charm.
The beach also holds an important place in the history of Calicut (Kozhikode). It was, for centuries, an important port for the traders who visited India from China and Arabia. The dock that was used by the traders, exist even today, though in a crumbling position.
Kozhikode beach is an ideal located to spend some memorable hours, enjoying the views, savoring lip-smacking food at the beach shacks, watching the sunset and chit-chatting with the loved ones. Listen to the sound of the waves of the Arabian Sea and relax. There are a number of eating joints, hotels, and shops near the beach. Kozhikode beach is one of the best places in Kerala to enjoy sunset views.
Activities at Kozhikode Beach
There are a number of things to do at the Kozhikode beach:
- Indulge in water sports activities such as beach walking, para-sailing, windsurfing, sunbathing and fishing.
- Savor finger-licking sea-food dishes, served at the beach shacks while enjoying the wonderful views. Do not miss the sumptuous delicacies of Kerala cuisine.
- Dolphin viewing at the Dolphin Point inside the Arabian Sea
- Partake in sightseeing including the two old piers, old lighthouse and around a hundred years old dock, used by foreign traders.
- Lion’s park and Marine water aquarium for children with an amazing collection of fishes and other underwater animals.
- Shopping at the nearby markets and emporiums
Attractions near Kozhikode Beach
During your tour to Kozhikode, you can visit a number of attractions. Here are some popular attractions near Kozhikode beach:
- Thikkoti Lighthouse
- Kappad Beach
- Tusharagiri Falls
- Tali Temple
- Manachiora Square
- Payyoli Beach
Best Time to VisitKozhikode
October to March
Nearest railway station: Kozhikode railway station (3 km)
Nearest airport: Calicut International Airport (29 km)